Monday, September 14, 2009

Hey baby.

Hi there! I'll use a (very slightly) different color and font to distinguish my posts from Super Z's. I chose purple because it was the least eye-straining result of my random mouse flailing. I chose the font "Georgia" because I loved listening to Laura Harris say "jyor-jyah" over and over in Dead Like Me. I could watch her talk for hours.

It just hit me how culturally prescient Beavis & Butthead were. While watching some old clips (over a decade old!), I found it eerie how well their "yeas and nays" have carried forward to align with the music that is and isn't popular today (at least in terms of LA-area KROQ rotation). Consider:

  • Love of Nirvana, RHCP, Metallica, Tool, the Beasties, and most of the other 90's era rock that's still hugely successful today.
  • Disdain for the late 80's/early 90's mascara and hairspray rock (see: Poison) that... er, hasn't aged well.
  • Their discerning taste wasn't limited to rock, either - they were down with Snoop Dogg and even with Lady Miss Kier shakin' it (Groove is in the Heart - really!)
  • Another revelation that blew me away was that they loved themselves some Radiohead - not just the crunchy Creep, but even Fake Plastic Trees. (Yes, Beavis and Butthead were into Radiohead two albums before 90% of their massive current fanbase had even heard of them.)
  • They knew instantly just how bad Vanilla Ice was. (C'mon, some of us - er, you - had To The Extreme on cassette tape. Admit it!)
I leave to you the task of analyzing precisely why Beavis & Butthead's musical taste has proven itself so canny and enduring in the long run. (In my head, it was kind of a chicken or the egg argument, except exponentially more horrifying.)

1 comment:

  1. I'm scared to think of what it means.

    Your font doesn't show up as purple to me! I don't know what that means.

    ReplyDelete